One of the biggest misconceptions about performance management is that it begins when the appraisal form is sent to employees.
It doesn't.
By the time an employee is sitting across from a manager discussing an annual performance score, many of the things that determined that score have already happened.
Good performance management starts much earlier.
It starts with clarity.
Does the employee understand what the organisation is trying to achieve?
Does the employee understand how their role contributes to those objectives?
Are their KPIs measurable and realistic?
Have expectations been discussed clearly?
Does the manager provide regular feedback?
Are employees given the resources and capabilities required to perform?
And when performance falls below expectations, does the organisation intervene early enough to understand the cause and provide the appropriate support?
This is why I believe effective performance management should operate as a continuous cycle:
Set expectations → Align goals → Enable performance → Monitor → Coach → Give feedback → Review → Develop → Recognise or Correct
The appraisal should simply be one point in that cycle, not the entire system.
There is also an important distinction between poor performance and poor management.
Sometimes an employee is genuinely underperforming.
But sometimes the problem is unclear expectations, inadequate resources, poor onboarding, weak supervision, insufficient training or a KPI that was never realistic in the first place.
HR's role is not simply to ensure that appraisal forms are completed.
HR should help managers build a culture where people know:
* What am I expected to achieve?
* How am I doing?
* What do I need to improve?
* What support do I need?
* And what does success look like?
When performance management is treated as a business process rather than an HR ritual, it becomes much more powerful.
It moves from rating people to improving performance.
And ultimately, that is what organisations should want from performance management.

Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий