четверг, 29 марта 2018 г.

Health Tips for Business Travel: How this CEO Builds his Work Day Around his Workout




Like many CEOs, I’ll often start my day on one coast and end it on another – sometimes with a stop to give a talk or take a meeting in a town in between. In the last 9 months I’ve logged more than 200,000 miles with over 100 flights, zig-zagging across the country to build my company.

Between the airport food, the less-than-sanitary conditions of planes and hotels and changes in time zones, you would expect me to be overweight and constantly battling a cold. But I compete in 10 to 15 cycling events every year, I eat only lean and healthy meals and I’m rarely get sick.

The secret to my stamina is my mindset: I don’t fit working out and eating well into my work schedule. Rather, I build my work schedule around working out and eating well. After several years as a health-conscious serial entrepreneur, I’ve distilled my healthy habits into a few key tips that can help business leaders keep their bodies as fit as their companies.

Prioritize Fitness

In health, there is no room for the “no time” excuse. Turn your health and fitness into your key priority and everything else can be built around it.

No matter where I am, I work out at least five times a week, combining both cardiovascular and strength training. Because I’m an avid cyclist, my cardio training tends to be on the bike, either outside when I can, or on the stationary bike when traveling, but rigorous hiking and walking also helps keep me strong.

I belong to Equinox Fitness, which has clubs all over the country, so I can work out anywhere. And when possible, I turn business meetings into bike rides. I have long maintained thatcycling is the new golf, and I’m a firm believer in integrating my personal fitness goals with my goals as a business leader.

“Walk and talks” are increasingly replacing boardroom meetings, as company leaders realize that some of our most creative thinking and best relationship building occurs while we’re in motion. I like to take this concept further, tapping into clients’ passions – be they hiking, running or cycling – to take business meetings outdoors.

Embrace the Red-Eye

Over the years I have discovered – and even began to evangelize about – the red-eye flight. By turning American Airlines into my hotel, I’ve been able to begin and end each day with a workout and get in two full days of work on each coast.

Consider a typical business trip for me: I work out in the morning in LA, put in a full day in the office, and then hop on a plane to New York. A transcontinental flight provides just the right amount of shut-eye to keep you going strong for another day.

When I arrive in New York, I’m ready for an early morning workout before putting on my suit and heading into a full workday in the Big Apple. Two workouts, two full work days, no time lost for travel. The red-eye one of my favorite travel tips, and the one that has most contributed to my health and fitness.

Be the Cleaning Crew

I’m no Howard Hughes, but I am realistic about how taxing travel can be on the immune system. Airplanes are filthy, even in business class. I usually wipe down every surface of my seat on the plane with a sanitizer wipe.

I also keep Purell in my pocket because as I navigate cities via ubers and trains, and I shake hands with so many people very day, I know I’m coming into contact with bacteria that have the potential to knock me down for a few days. As a result of this vigilance, and being strong from all of my training, I have great stamina and I successfully avoid getting sick.

Plan Your Meals

I’m always careful to eat low-fat, whole-food oriented meals, which means eating healthy on the road requires some homework. Large commercial chains offer homogenous menus across the country, so researching those few healthy options at major chains allows me to grab a low-fat snack on the go virtually anywhere.

When I take a client out to dinner or lunch, I try to steer the meal toward fish restaurants or sushi, where I know healthy options will be easier to find.

In addition to watching what I eat, I also watch what I drink. I stopped drinking alcohol four years ago and it is amazing how easy it was and how much better I feel (no hangovers for me). I love toasting to the success of a good business venture, but not at the expense of my health.

No matter where I am, I don’t lose sight of the fact that my most important asset as a CEO is my health. Staying fit has to be my priority – and it should be the priority of anybody who heads an organization.

Business is an endurance sport, and the CEOs who can best lead their companies to success are those who stay healthy, strong and active.

Even after more than 200,000 miles.

David Norris

CEO, Board Member, 6-time Entrepreneur, Advisor, Investor, Cyclist, 

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий